Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Not So Much Labor Day

I spent the entire day on Labor Day by myself.

I didn’t see one person that I knew.

I did however go to Wal-Mart in the monsoon that hit Chattanooga and most of the South. I think it was more crowded than it was before the snow storm last year.

I didn’t really intend for my day to end up that way. I had planned on being by the pool, or at a movie, or hanging out with friends and their family. I had planned on doing SOMETHING.

I like plans. But this day... I liked that my plans got destroyed. The rain seemed to slow everything down, and make me stop everything I had been doing.

My day consisted of sleeping, reading, studying God’s word, watching a How I Met Your Mother marathon, cleaning and cooking. All while watching the steady downfall of the rain.

And it was perfect.

I only briefly spoke to three people throughout the entire day: my mom, the cashier at Wal-Mart, and one of my best friends.

Those were the only words spoken. (The count of words I sang… might be a little higher.)

Some days, I panic when I think I’m not going to see or talk to anyone. Honestly. I start to get upset and worried and stressed that I might have days like that FOREVER, where I don’t say a single word out loud.

Not on Labor Day.

Labor Day was the opposite. Labor Day was a reflection of peace in my life; a day I spent enjoying my time by myself, doing that things that I love (cooking, reading, relaxing) and even some things that I don’t love so much (cleaning).

This day gave me time to be thankful, truly thankful, for the days of peace and relaxation in my life.

I actually began to think about the panic stricken days when I’m alone, and realized that those days are far outnumbered by days spent with friends and family, engaged in love and activity.

The first time I ever lived on my own, I spent a lot of time alone. I was pretty much starting over in a new apartment, new church, and fresh out of college with no idea what I was doing. I had recently decided to completely devote my life to Jesus and stop trying to do it all on my own.

Same City, New Diana.

I allowed God to take control of my life and started to learn what trusting Him really entailed.

It was terrifying.

I remember just begging God for friends, and ways to be active and not alone. The silence was sometimes deafening.

Since then, He has continuously revealed Himself to me. 

These days, I seem to stay pretty busy; be it spending time with friends, studying the word, playing sports or something involving church.

It was almost like being alone, not being busy.. meant that I wasn't living my life for God. 

But I think God can be just as glorified in the relaxing days, as He can be in the busy ones. 

I tell myself every morning: “It’s not about me.” We’re only here to glorify God. And while reading 2 Corinthians this past week, I read a passage that talks about those who are in Christ, being able to SEE and REFLECT the glory of God.

Everything we do should reflect God to the world that watches us.

Even our quiet days.

My peace on Labor Day came from Christ. He asked me to glorify Him, alone in my house, all by myself. And to do it with joy.

And I kind of wish I could bottle that day up with me and hold on to it forever.

In the day to day, hustle and bustle of this world, we seek to glorify God because you never know who is watching you. We are reminded to live this way all the time.

But we should also seek to glorify Him when we are all alone, when we are lonely, when we are relaxing, when it’s just you and Him.

I know He longs for those days. He loves us. He wants to spend time with just us. Reciprocating that... brings Him so much joy and glory.  

That day was just Him and me. I think I’m going to seek those days more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. More than you know. Leave your thoughts on the post here and check out the "Contact Me" page and shoot me an email! I wanna know you!